Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bedtime Routine

So with the girls I have this nifty little bedtime routine.. it's wonderful!  They easily go to bed, there aren't any tears or crying about monsters either!  We of course have our initial escape attempt but they are well aware that this "I need to go potty" excuse doesn't equate to another bedtime routine.  So, here is my gloriously simple and giggly routine:

Bedtime Story:  We select a different story each night and sit on one of the girls beds to read it (swapping beds each night).  They always ask for a second story, but the rule is only one story per bedtime.

Tucked into Bed:  I tuck them in as TIGHT (littlerally warpping the blankets underneath them) as I can and say "Snug as (blanket is tucked under the back) a Bug in (blanket is tucked under their buma Rug (blanket is tucked under their legs/feet)" [insert mimicking and giggling here]



Bedtime Prayer:  I clasp their hands together, covering them with mine, and say the prayer (they repeat each line after I say it) -

"Now I lay me down to sleep" ...
       "Now I way me down to tweep"
"I prayer the lord my soul to keep" ...
       "Pway da Lowd my toul keep"
"God Bless Mommy, Daddy" ...
       "God Bwess Mommy, Daddy"
"Sissy, Aarron, P. and M." ...
                                                                          "Tissy, Awwon, P. and Miss M!!!!" [giggles]
                                                               "Cheyenne and Dakota (our dogs)" ...
                                                                     "Teyann and Tota!" [giggles]
                                                               "Please let me a have a good day at school tomorrow" ..
                                                                     "Pwease wet me have dood day at twool tommorrow"
                                                               "And please make me have sweet dreams" ...
                                                                     "Pwease mait me have tweet dweams"
                                                              "Amen" ...
                                                                     "Amen!!"



Lullaby: We sing a lullaby of their choosing, sometimes its a made up version of Braham's Lullaby but lately its been "Twinkle Twinkle" (surprisingly they had never heard it before) -- and Yes, I know this isn't the full version.. but seriously how many of us actually remember the whole thing anyway?



Twinkle, twinkle, little star

How I wonder what you are.

Up above the world so high

Like a diamond in the sky

Twinkle, twinkle, little star

How I wonder what you are!


Then I they get a kiss and hug goodnight (mind you all of this is done in doubles -- the tuck in, the prayer, and the lullaby.. they each get their own shut the lights off (there is a night light and I leave the bathroom light on for them).. and then I walk out the door.  As I said at the beginning.. we have an escape attempt for the potty, but they know that, that doesn't equate to another bedtime routine.  Last night I heard "Bella" tucking herself in afterwards.. "Snud as a Bud in a Wud"


P.S. It's our Big Girl's Birthday Today!! Congrats on being 5!!

2 comments:

  1. How sweet! Happy Birthday "Cindy"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) We brush teeth, potty, wash hands then we have similar bedtime routines, but my girls prefer TV to a book, then we do "talk time" because we're still building trust. They get 30 minutes (usually 20 for our 6 yr old and 10 for our 4 yr old) to ask Rich and I questions/tell us about things, then we tuck in, hugs and kisses, and go to bed.

    My girls talk very clear, so it's fun hearing how your girls say things! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...