Saturday, November 21, 2009

Why haven't you...

I've been getting this question a lot lately: "Why haven't you considered a surrogate?" And the answer isn't 100% clear. It's not that we haven't considered it.. because we have.

I think that for us... the ultimate dream is parenthood (no matter how we arrive at it). Once I was diagnosed with the stenosis and we started fertility treatments, we knew that at some point a decision would have to be made as to how far down the road to have a biological child we would travel. Initially, I wouldn't go through a cycle that included injections... but we were fortunate enough to have it covered by insurance... and then I didn't want to undergo an IVF cycle and was completely uncomfortable with ICSI (they take a single sprem and inject it into an egg with a needle)... but again it was covered by insurance... and my husband said that we had to complete the journey. so we did... never once did I get even a false positive or a chemical pregnancy. Deep down we both knew that a biological child is not in god's plan for us.

We are fortunate to have a number of female friends who have offered to be our surrogate, but again that would require an IVF cycle without the transfer... the meds are horrible. I hated them.. you get every symptom of early pregnancy without being pregnant... nausea, mood swings, sore boobs, sore nipples.. and one wonderful side effect that is not part of pregnancy.. a bruised, swollen abdomen (because of the injections and the over stimulation in order to have the RE harvest as many viable eggs as possible). I can't do it again.

I just want to be a mom.. and P. just wants to be a dad... it doesnt matter if the child is related to us by blood.. because they will be ours by love.

2 comments:

  1. For some reason, this post made me teary eyed!
    I totally understand you, when you say, that you will love a child, no matter what.. it's just that simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww.. I am sorry it made you teary eyed. But you're right, it really is that simple... because family is bonded by love not by blood.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...