Saturday, July 31, 2010

"Music and the Monitors"

Countdown:  Full Day 2 of a 14 day Respite Placement

"I need these monitors right here
Music and the monitors, and it goes a little something
Like this here ah huh ah huh ah"
                                                         ~ DJ Kool

Conversation with P. (early 2010 -- sometime during the licensing process - paraphrased):

P: "Are you sure you're ready for this?"
Me: "Why wouldn't I be ready?"
P: "Well, you don't really like to get up in the morning."
Me: "Of course I don't.. I don't have a reason to get up in the morning. Are you ready for this?"
P: "Yah, why?"
Me: "So, you're ready to get up in the middle of the night... you can sleep through everything, even a shoe in your back." (sorry P.  I am pretty sure it was a bit of a jab when we actually had the conversation)

Flashfoward to this morning
(day 2 of respite):

Time:  6:25am
P: "Hey, the baby is crying."
Me (groggy from just being woke up): "whaaa?"
P: "The baby's crying.  Is the monitor on?"
Me (still groggy): "Oh he is crying... I guess it wasn't on."
P: "And I wasn't going to hear the baby."

So day 3 was off to a great start.. but let's discuss day 2 first (our first night and full day together).  He slept from 11:00pm to 6:30am.  I slept from 12:00am to 3:00am and then off and on till 6:00am (when P.'s alarm went off for him to go to work).  I woke up everytime I heard Aaron.  I was anxious that I would hear him in the "monitor", but I did.. I heard every wince, giggle, whimper, whine, sneeze, and cough). 

Overall day 2 went really well.  He napped after his bottle (about 6 oz) and then woke up and another bottle (4 oz).  We went and got the paperwork for day care on Monday and to the store to get an infant carrier for P.'s car.  I attempted some housework, but didn't get much done, between feedings, entertaining, and diaper changing.  We even managed to get of the house last night and attend a concert in the park with Aarron.  Aarron slept from 10:00pm till 6:30am (as seen in above's conversation). 

Today we spent the morning at the house and did a few errands.  We picked up some clothes for the baby (he was sent with some things that had holes in them and/or too small for him.  I get this, but I feel bad for him.  Why would you send clothes that don't fit the child to another foster family?  I have no intention of keeping his the other family's clothes.), more bottles, the cutest little sandals (I couldn't resist) and then went grocery shopping.  He slept through most of our adventures, but woke up just as we left Babies-R-Us to go grocery shopping to eat a few more ounces.  At this point P. asked how many times he eats a day... and I said about 8 times...

Do you know what babies and hobbits have in common? 
They both eat breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper. 

All in all, things are going really well.  Aarron is mostly a content and happy little guy.  It is a great first placement.

By the way... I still remember that he isn't mine.  Twice yesterday people commented about how beautiful he is and asked his age.  Upon hearing he was just 12 weeks, they would promptly look at me and then have this dirty look in their eyes as if they were thinking "b!tch.. i can't believe she that thin after having a baby!" i am have tempted to then say "oh, yah I have been doing the 'rotten egg' diet".


  1. Hahahaha what will be funny is wen they start saying "ohhhhhh he looks just like you!!!" You're doing a great job!

  2. Pilates!! Tell them pilates, haha leavem' in a stupor for assuming. That is awesome, glad you are enjoying the little guy. Sounds like you are doing a great job :)

  3. hobbits, hehe

    I could totally see you saying "I just can't get all this baby weight off!" :)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...